Others (under construction)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lion Dance

I was working in the office near Singapore Street when suddenly I heard loud clashes of cymbals and drums from across the street.

This is my first time seeing a Lion Dance show in many years. It took me about 5 minutes before I whipped out my camera and started snapping pictures. When I was young, I had seen many Lion Dance shows during Chinese New Year, usually the 1st or 2nd day. These few years.... I don't know... probably I'm getting old or I don't take notice or times are bad, but I hardly see these anymore.

This yellowish orange lion can be seen trying to reach out for it's "meal". Usually this "meal" contains cash in an ang pow packet and usually it's hung just below the ceiling. The lion has to find ways to reach to it and grab it by its mouth.

The lions danced for at least 20 minutes.

The pictures above were blur because I maxed out my zoom and I took them through a tinted glass window. I was surprised that some turned out better than I thought.


Here's a short video of the dance. Enjoy!

No comments: